Sunday, September 28, 2008

SERVICE

Jason and I think it is very important to teach our children about serving others and that life isn't all about us. So on Friday afternoon after Jason got home from work we decided to take advantage of the beautiful 99 degree weather and go on a family bike ride. On our way home we passed an older woman working in her yard pulling weeds, we rode by her and waved. I had a feeling this would be a wonderful oppertunity to teach our children about service. I yelled ahead to Jason to stop and told him we needed to go back and help the woman. He agreed so we turned around and without telling the kids anything. I parked my bike got off and began pulling weeds Jason did the same and the kids followed. Not one of them asked one question of why or how come but just started pulling weeds and then helped her gather them and put them in her trash barrel. Even after we left they never asked why did we do that, or do we get money now? There was a great feeling there and I could tell the kids could truly feel the spirit of service and love for this woman. As I thought about this that night and that in just a few short months, my little Caden will be baptized and the choices he makes from then on, he will be accountable for, I am so thankful for the Savior and his sacrifice he made for each one of us. The love he has for us and that he showed us the greatest act of service known to mankind. I hope that I can instill charity in each of my children that it will be one of the desires of their heart to always love and serve not only each other but everyone around them, that they might know that charity is the pure love of christ.

2 comments:

Krysta said...

That was an awesome teaching moment. The best ones are ones like that. When they aren't planned and you just follow a thought or prompting. That's real service.

Tonya said...

Good work Angelina, you are a good mom! I need more posts please!!